Manor Park, Glossop
The Shelf Brook, a designated Environment Agency Main River, flows through Manor Park for nearly a kilometre and has previously been the cause of extensive flooding of land, highways and property.
Remedial works were required to prevent further flood damage and further bank erosion. Bethell were employed to carry out the following works during a busy school holiday period:
- Natural bank erosion remediated through the installation of gabion mattresses, proprietary ‘Rock Rolls’ and jute matting.
- Stone pitching to scour holes at the base of river walls in many separate locations
- Re-pointing of masonry abutments to two pedestrian bridges
- Tree-felling and removal of roots / repair of bulging masonry walls
- Unblocking of land drains leading into the river and creation of new outfalls
- Landscape reinstatement
Shelf Brook is recognised as a habitat for Brown Trout and construction works within the watercourse needed liaison with the Environment Agency and suitable temporary works within the watercourse.